Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Gardendale Copyright Invoked

It appears that while the overly zealous media giants of CNN and FoxNews have numerous clips on youtube.com, Gardendale's First Baptist Church in Alabama takes its copyright rights a tad more seriously.

Today (8-30-06) youtube.com pulled the video of Steve Gaines' address to FBC G'dale regarding the fact that he tried to "tick off" the Bellevue pulpit committee. Youtube.com's site says, "This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner Gardendale's First Baptist Church because its content was used without permission."

In this address Gaines said that God used the Scripture telling of Gideon freeing His people from the Midianites as a sign that he should come to Bellevue (perhaps to free us from something? I'm not sure).

Gaines went on to say that his approach would be to set out a fleece of "tick[ing] off" the pulpit committee, telling them everything he didn't like about their [Bellevue's] church and everything he liked about our [Gardendale's] church; "everything they [Bellevue] do wrong and everything we [Gardendale] do right. I mean that."

A latin signature is appropriate here: Manet mansuraque est...As it is, It shall remain!


PS If you want to write or call Gardendale for the video (Evening Service July 10, 2005), you may reach them at:

First Baptist Church of Gardendale
940 Main St
Gardendale, AL
(205) 631-3710

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the address. I want to see the video.

Anonymous said...

I saw this sermon, in its entirety,months ago. I cannot believe our pulpit committee tolerated this obstinence. I was for Dr. Gaines coming to Bellevue and had intended to fully support him because I knew it would be difficult to follow Dr. Rogers. However, what I know personally about his tactics now make me a non-supporter--and it has nothing to do with Dr. Rogers. It seems to me that he is intentionally doing to my church what Sam Shaw tried to do to Germantown Baptist. I hope he meets the same results!

Anonymous said...

If we, as a concerned church body, cannot even ask questions and get an appropriate response from our leadership without "facing consequences," then what would happen to those of us who request a copy of the video? Certainly, Gardendale would keep record of who they're sending the video to, and certainly the leadership would be able to find out. Is there fear here? Yup, but fear of what, I have no idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a member of BBC, but I am a follower of Christ. The poster's comment about Germantown says it all...."my church". We are the body of Christ, Jesus's church; not your personal club. Airing our family business in public forums only aids the cause of our adversary. As a member of GBC I've seen this all before...and it shames the name of Christ.

Custos said...

GBC member, I would refer you to the essays on congregational authroity near the bottom of the blog. I agree the church is not "ours" personally, but I think the poster you refer to was attempting to say "the church we are suppossed to exercise congregational power in."

Poster, if I am wrong, please correct me.

Best,
Josh

Mike Bratton said...

Josh, I'm one for taking people at their word--even when they post anonymously.

Had the poster wanted to say "the church we are supposed to exercise congregational power in," I'm guessing he (or she) has all the keyboard keys that would allow tapping out such phraseology.

The same goes for terminology such as "Bellevue," "Bellevue Baptist Church," "the church where my family and I attend," or "the big ol' church at Appling and the interstate."

Instead, we see the proprietary term "my church."

I would encourage you to let the poster clarify his (or her) own remarks.

--Mike