Sunday, August 27, 2006

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes (at Bellevue Baptist Church)

As many of you know, the title of this blog, and this post, can be loosely translated from Latin as "Who watches the Watchmen?" It's from the satirist Juvenal. He asked a very good question, one that we take today to mean "Who will hold the powers-that-be accountable for their actions?" I now ask this question, with all due respect, to the current leadership at Bellevue.

There's much to be said about accountability in the days of Jim Baker and Enron, Watergate and Worldcom. I'm not sure that anyone truly enjoys being held accountable--it's a prickly reminder of our fallen nature, our continual desire for power, and the near-inevitability of that power corrupting us. But an ounce of painful prevention can head off a lifetime of malfeasance and misery.

Prevention, however, may be too late; and the Cure may be doubly painful. (I will address the following in more detail in the days to come.) For weeks, a small group of men and women at Bellevue have sought answers from Steve Gaines on issues ranging from church by-laws, to financial decisions, to hiring and firing practices. They have been diverted, red-taped, insulted, and are now being demonized.

All of this is regrettable because these brothers and sisters simply asked questions of their spiritual leaders. These men and women, then, find themselves in a difficult position. They do not want to work dissent among the brethren, but they do know that their leadership must be held accountable.

In the weeks ahead, I hope to thoroughly chronicle the concerns of these people, the church administration's response to their concerns, and provide what I hope will be commentary that is in some small way helpful.

I have no agenda other than finding the truth and holding individuals accountable. I want answers to questions that are swirling around the back halls,
dark corners, and administrative offices of the church. Answers to legitimate questions that are whispered in secret for fear of demonization and figurative excommunication.

In closing, I've more or less spent my life at Bellevue. I grew up at the Old Church, have spent brief (though still entirely all-too-long) stints at other local churches, and have always come back Home. I love this place. We have grown by His grace and for His glory. I pray that God will provide his people wisdom to know what action to take in the days ahead. May we always be a beacon on a hill, sending out its light to our neighbors and the nations—eternally urging them to “Come to Jesus.”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a long time active member of BBC, I am greived by the arrogance of the new pastor, Steve Gaines. I think his actions play out the Gardendale video in that he set out to make Bellevue right in his own eyes, when I am not really sure what was wrong with it. I think what he does should be transparent, out in the open and reviewable by all members. Then we would see where the majority is and where the minority is. He has taken a vulnerable church and is destroying what it was built on. Where is the wisdom from the pulpit, the vision that everyone agrees with, where is humility?

Custos said...

Well, i'm not so sure it's being distributed now that Gardendale has invoked copyright protection. But that's incidental.

What's interesting about this is that some say the video is being taken out of context, but instead of making the entire video available on youtube or to savingbellevue.com, FBC Gardendale had the entire video removed so that no one could see any of it.

Just an observation.

Custos said...

Excellent! I'd suggest everyone make an effort to view the entire video.

Thanks for the info iwtk.

Ed T. said...

Interesting

Ed T. said...

So what's the title of the video?

I was able to view the video on youtube before it was pulled and thought it might be out of context, but I'm not sure how many "interpretations" can be made for "tell them everything we do right and they do wrong" and it is said with a straight face followed by "I'm serious". Hopefully iwtk is right, though.

Custos said...

I'm not sure that the video has a title, but I can tell you that it would be the 9-11-05 evening service at First Baptist Church of Gardendale.

One person has commented that the video is still available in the Bellevue library, but I do not know if that is the case.

If it's not there, you can contact Gardendale directly using the address in the blogged article on Gardendale's copyright invocation.

Best,
Josh

Anonymous said...

The video date would be 7-10-05, when he went back to Gardendale to tell them he was coming here, after we voted that morning. Just FYI.

Custos said...

Thanks for the correction! 9/11/05 was the first official Sunday under the new pastor. Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

Forgive the intrusion, I'm not a BBC member, but I am a follower of Christ. Josh, right or wrong, you are being used; this, or any public forum is not the right place to air the church's disagreements. I remind you that many, many eyes are watching. Take your perceived grievances to the church leadership and don't give our adversary any more ammunition.

Custos said...

Dear GBC member,

That's what I've done. I've written letters and asked for time with the leadership. I have yet to recieve a callback to arrange a meeting.

Sincerely,
Josh