Saturday, September 02, 2006

Round Two: Commentary on Bellevue Leadership's Second Email

Below is my take on the second round of emails between myself and the previously quoted member of Bellevue leadership. I regret that at this time I cannot post his email in its entirity. I have asked his permission to post his entire email, but it is too soon for him to have responded. In the mean time, I will go ahead and put my thoughts out on the exchange along with my end of the conversation. Hopefully I can post his part soon to assure that I've not taken anything out of context.

***EMAIL EXCHANGE PT 2 BELOW (MY EMAIL ONLY, PENDING PERMISSION TO PUBLISH LEADER'S EMAIL)***


I replied to Mr *****’s first email (previously posted) by asking the following questions:

1) Do numbers validate a ministry (this was an implied question)

2) Are questions about transparency out of line?

3) Should a congregation follow a pastor no matter what (again an implied question)

4) [I re-posed my original three questions (SEE: "Deacon Board Member Email Exchange pt 1".]

Mr ***** addressed in some way each of the top three questions listed above but again refused to answer the original three (SEE: "Deacon Board Member Email Exchange pt 1.")

I would conclude again that he believes that answering those questions directly, from a biblical perspective, will undermine his actions along with the actions of the deacon board, board of directors, and church administration.

Regarding question one (Do numbers validate a ministry?), Mr ***** refers to God adding daily to the church in Acts, attempting to use this as an example, if not a proof, of the validity of numbers in the evaluation of ministry. Of course, numbers may be used to validate, but they can be neither 1) solely relied upon to the exclusion of other measures (honesty, gentleness, temperance, etc) nor 2) assumed to reflect the propriety of an administration. If we solely relied on numbers to the exclusion of other markers and assumed that numbers reflect the propriety of a ministry, then we would be forced to conclude that Benny Hinn is one of the mightiest men of God on the planet.

Of course, Mr ***** doesn’t believe this. I’d also wager he doesn’t believe that numbers really validate a ministry (if he does, then I’ll let him make the phone calls to our missionaries in parts of the world where fewer than 10 conversions per year can be counted on). He does, however, realize that numbers are one of the only proofs of legitimacy the leadership can fall back on if their behavior does not comport with Scripture. The end result: “Well, we’re not really doing what the Bible says, but we are growing, so that must mean we’re ok! [my words]” Again, I’m positive Mr ***** doesn’t believe this, but this is where his logic and refusal to cite other indicators must lead.

On question two (Are questions about transparency out of line?), Mr ***** contends that “making staff members’ salaries common knowledge would be inappropriate” and “a committee made up of Church members that work on a budget that is approved by the Congregation each year and for two weeks prior to voting on it that Committee, the Budget Planning Committee, is available to answer any questions our congregation has about the finances of the Church so they can be informed in order to vote (sic). That’s transparency.”

So what he seems to be saying is that a committee the congregation does not appoint, creates a sub-committee from themselves that the congregation can’t vote on; that sub-committee both operates on the basis of guidelines generated by the Pastor and the Development Council (and that council is handpicked by the pastor and associate pastor) and creates a budget the congregation can’t have a say in for 50 weeks out of the year; and the budget they create and show the public does not have included the numbers for all expenses.

That is not transparency.

In addressing this same question, Mr ***** says that I accused him of saying “people who ask financial questions are being divisive.” I did make that inference, but my statement wasn’t accusatory.

He goes on to say that “those who talk of financial improprieties based on rumor and gossip and pass those lies on to others are being divisive.” I would then ask what one should do if he hears that some financial matters are possibly currently mismanaged? Apparently he should do anything but talk about it. I suppose a corollary of this is that the same person should not consider anything unless proof is produced. This is a wonderful approach as long as those who may be committing improprieties are willing to honestly answer questions and produce completely transparent numbers. Things rarely work that way with those who do commit improprieties.

Regarding question three (Should a congregation follow a pastor no matter what?), Mr ***** continues to fall back on Heb 13:17. A few nights back I ran into an interesting article on this verse and this common use for it. The article noted the actual connotation of the word translated from the Greek as “obey.” To quote Strong’s “peithō pi'-tho A primary verb; to convince (by argument, true or false); by analogy to pacify or conciliate (by other fair means) . . .”

This does shed a bit of light on the passage, perhaps even implying that the congregation is to convince the leadership of the congregation’s opinion and obey them. If that is correct, I must point out that it directly contradicts Mr *****’s assertions on church leadership and followership.

Going further, he states “if a pastor has a moral failure, yes [the congregation may diverge]. If he taught heresy, yes. If you don’t like the music or who he hires or how he parts his hair, absolutely not!” Speaking to the moral failure comment, I’d note that moral failures tend to be things that get covered up, at least for a time, and without information they can stay covered up. So, for a congregation to consider divergence under Mr *****’s perspective, information would have to come out indicating a failure. Again, this makes sense as long as questions and pleas are not ignored. Otherwise, such an approach is almost useless.

Finally, I want to clarify that this is not about “change.” As I told Mr *****, change can be a good thing. I’m more concerned about the leadership’s lack of willingness to address congregational concerns and even lack of willingness to acknowledge how to biblically deal with an administration the congregation believes may be errant.

Again, I would urge readers to try to find the answers to the original three questions on (1) how the leadership and (2) congregation should respond to each other when there are questions about the leadership’s actions; and (3) what are the specifics of Steve Gaines ultimate vision for the church. Ask your leadership.


From: Joshua H. Manning
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:27 AM
To: ******
Subject: RE: Church Concern

Dear Mr *****,

Thank you for replying so quickly (and though you say it was brief, it was far more than I expected). Please let me apologize for contacting you at work. I didn’t realize this wasn’t your personal address. Because of that circumstance, I’ll try to be brief:

I understand what you wrote back, but I guess I don’t understand how it applies to what I was asking about. What I hear in your email is that the numbers at church validate a ministry, but I know that can’t be what you mean. I also take from it that those asking about financial matters are divisive. I don’t understand how that can be if they simply want transparency, which they claim to have asked the administration for and it will not grant it. Is that sort of request out of line? Also, I know you can’t mean that a congregation should follow a pastor no matter what—surely at some point it can become appropriate to diverge from a pastor—but it does sound like you’re saying one can never diverge or disagree. Do you think there’s a point when a congregation can?

I’m trying to understand what the lay leadership and the administration’s points of view are regarding the biblical way part of a congregation should proceed when it believes its leadership may be errant; and how biblically a church administration and deacon body should respond to members who ask legitimate questions and ask for transparency and accountability. I’m also curious about what you know of the pastor’s end goal for the church. What are the specifics of his vision for us?

Again, thank you for your time, leadership, and willingness to respond to a concerned church member.

Best,

Josh

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i understand you are to be a gentleman but asking his permission to post his emails, but after all the lies and backstabbing he is done, do you really think he will give his permission? i see that you are now not using his name or what he does in the church, so i will respect that i am not write it in my comment. but i do think that because of his position at the church and because he is speaking about ongoing problems in the church, that the emails should be posted whether or not he gives his permission. just my thoughts

Anonymous said...

God brought several things to mind last night.
First, Chuck Taylor mentioned that Dr.Rogers said the pastors job was to "lead and feed" and the churches job was to "swallow and follow". I honestly cannot remember if the Pastor said the latter part - but if he did, I would like to remind Mr.Taylor of something else that Dr.Rogers said -
"You don't take my word for it
(for what you hear), you go to
God's Word and then do what it
says."
Many have been rebuked and told that they are not to question the leadership and authority of the church. May I say, this is not even scriptual. Jesus tells us to watch out for false prophets and teachers. Just because they are in leadership position are we to "swallow and follow" as Mr.Taylor suggests? NO!! We are to stand against what is wrong. Another point I want to make is Jesus Himself questioned and confronted the leaders of the temple (the Pharisees). If you take what Steve Gaines, Mark Daughtery and Chuck Taylor says about questioning leadership - my question to them is : Are they saying that Jesus was wrong for questioning the leadership in His time?
To address the comment made that "you are being used as a pawn" : I would rather be a pawn in the hand of God than a puppet with men controlling the strings.

Custos said...

I sympathize with you Confused. But I want to keep things 100% above board. This is a bit of a grey area right now because he has still neither asked me to keep our correspondece confidential nor given me permission to post the remainder. I hope that permission will come, otherwise it will be embarassing for us to have a leaderhsip offical who does not want us to know his end of a conversation about how to biblically deal with these issues.

Best,
Josh

Custos said...

Thanks Laura for points all well made. Excellent job. I think your completly on target.

I do just want to note that the name of the Bellevue Leadership Member I've been corresponding with is not on my posts to the blog. But based on the wording of our correspondence and correspondence the man you cite has sent to others , I would simply say that there are very, very striking similarites--take that for what it's worth.

Best,
Josh

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I understand that you love Bellevue and desire to protect this great church from what you perceive is a lack of accountability among leadership. I would respectfully ask (beg) you to reconsider your methods for doing so.

I was a member of Bellevue Baptist Church for almost 25 years (Jan. 1979-Oct. 2003). I served on staff for five years (May 1996-May 2001). Like you, I love this church. It was a struggle for me to leave, but my husband took a position on staff at Germantown Baptist Church, and we believe God led us to serve and worship there.

I can tell you from experience that the road you, as well as the person responsible for the “savingbellevue” website and those who are meeting off campus for "coalition-building," are headed down is very painful and a disgrace to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and His Church. I have been through what you (and others) feel compelled to put Bellevue and its members through, and I cannot believe it is God's will for any church.

I don't understand why you did not wait to begin you blog (if you truly felt it necessary) until you had finished "gathering information about specifics" and had "confirmation that true worry is warranted." Right now you only offer your opinion and speculation. Unfortunately, that's all it takes to get the ball rolling, and plant seeds of doubt about the integrity and "trust worthiness" of your church leaders, specifically Pastor Steve.

Secondly, I wonder if you ever asked for a copy of the church's by-laws or cared about the salary of staff members while Dr. Rogers was pastor.

I am in no way implying that you are wrong to want to have your concerns addressed, but there has got to be a better way. I know you have said that you have requested a meeting with leadership to address concerns and that you have not been granted such a meeting. I would ask you to try again or consider other methods. An e-mail exchange in which both parties agree NOT to publicly post the correspondence and/ or commentary would be beneficial and prove that you are genuinely interested in getting the answers you seek (rather than "stirring the pot" on your blog.)

I have so much more I wish to add, but I will stop for now. I respect your intelligence and your desire for transparency and truth. I just have to say that I believe the way you are going about it is wrong and un-scriptural. Part of the reason I say this is because of what I have experienced at Germantown Baptist Church during the last 7 months. It breaks my heart to think that Bellevue would go through the same turmoil and see the same results.

Susan Word

Anonymous said...

Comment to laura:
i also cannot remember Dr. Rogers saying that the it is our job to "swallow and follow" either. if he did say it, it was most likely said jokingly as he did many times from the pulpit. But people in power have taken it (if it was sad) in a different way and look at it as a way to have more control. Power and money corrupt and sadly this disease has struck a few in the leadership of our church.

Custos said...

Dearest Susan,

Thank you for your kind comments in the closing paragraph of your comment.

Asking for accountability and showing what leadership has said is not “a disgrace to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and His Church.”

I “feel compelled” to put Bellevue through nothing at all. I will continue to recount accurate information that should be, but is not being, made available to the church.

You say “I cannot believe it [what church may go through from the truth being revealed] is God's will for any church.” Is that the same tack we should take when reading about church discipline in Scripture? Is that the same construct through which we view Matthew 18? I’m afraid not, because your belief is in contradiction with Scripture (I mean no offense, and I know that you want to do God’s will).

I did care about salaries under Dr Rogers, which is one of the reasons I’m concerned now. I never asked for a copy of the bylaws under him. Is the implication then that I should have? Or is the implication that I am hypocritical for not asking under Dr Rogers and asking under Dr Gaines? If that’s the case, I can only say that circumstances change over time—the media would never have asked Ronald Reagan about regulating the internet, but they definitely have asked that of G.W. Bush. There’s no hypocrisy there, simply a change in circumstances requiring different behavior.

I started blogging when I did because I wanted to get a different perspective on congregational authority out there. The rest has fallen into place as correspondence and data have accumulated.

Your statement that I “only offer [my] opinion and speculation” is incorrect. I offer opinion, first hand information, and a forum for others to discuss these things. I have presented no speculation on facts, only on what the leadership may mean from correspondence to me. I have also used hypothetical “if-then” statements.

As for the seed of doubt you referred to, I suspect it was there long before my blog started. In fact I know it was, it’s what prompted me to write on congregational authority. Would you classify the communications from the leadership on this blog as bolstering the leadership’s “integrity” and ‘trust worthiness”?

You say “there has got to be a better way.” You’re right. The administration could acknowledge concerns, answer questions, and go to the church with information.

Your suggestion about a private email session is good. But the implication is that the administration will only speak if they know they will not be held to what they said. That is not acceptable.

Finally, thank you for your kind words in your closing. God bless you.


Sincerely,
Josh

Anonymous said...

Josh,

I, like many others, appreciate your transparency. I have to admit - I have not said much or even written much simply because my heart as been so overwhelmed with sadness about the current situation at Bellevue. I have watched, prayed and asked God to give me strength to say the right things and the right time.

Many people, who have discussed various topics on this site, have stated that they feel our concerns are 'unfounded' or 'untrue'. I can only simply say they are sadly mistaken. Mistaken, in the respect that they don't have the facts - they simply just believe that the Pastor at Bellevue would never do that or could not be capable to those things. This is just be forwarded by a disgruntled group of people. When Bro. Steve first came I was like most everyone else - excited and ready to follow God's man. But, I soon realized that I couldn't follow a man who could not tell the truth or treat God's people with respect and dignity as Jesus would do.

I lost respect for the new Pastor when a staff member, who had faithfully served Jesus and Bellevue for 30 years, was merely pushed to the side and even ignored on numerous occasions. I know people will say that it was HIS decision to retire. But, before you say that - you better have your facts straight! I truly felt that the way in which it occured was callous and cold-hearted, not to mention disgraceful to a man who has built a ministry that other churches call upon to gain ideas, suggestions and wisdom. 30 years of faithful service didn't mean anything - nothing. That made my heart so very sad and discouraged. Because, I have been in that type of situation before, and Jesus would have never handled it in that way! I was shocked that the deacon leadership allowed it to happen!

Even, too this day, I don't understand a new Pastor coming into a new church position and stating the things he 'dislikes' about it to the very congregation that extended him a call! For example, he supossedly walked all around the church and did not find one room that was designated for prayer. So, the plans were made to build a building that would be used for nothing else. I know there are those who will say "You're against prayer!" No, I BELIEVE in it! What I don't believe is a new Pastor coming in and giving every ministry a list of things that HE doesn't like! I thought this was about GOD not man!

The one thing I can say about Dr. Rogers and his staff is that they did everything with excellence and with integrity - not for man's sake or approval but for the glory of God!

Further, when you have a new staff member come in, who was here previously, and hear one the first things he says to the group of people in front of him, "I had to leave Bellevue to really learn how to worship," truly makes me seriously question why these men came in the first place! And, why was this staff member not worshipping while he was at Bellevue! The last time I checked the same God that is at Bellevue is the same God that is at other churches! I'm afraid he is trying to give credit to a man or other Pastor rather than God!

If they did not like things about Bellevue, and these things are not small or insignificant things, THEN WHY DID THEY CHOOSE TO COME HERE?

Bellevue has always pointed the sinner to JESUS - you see FRUITS of that! However, if we have Pastors and staff come in and choose their own salary, with out church or committee approval - then we have a staff that has taken steps to deceive the church -plain and simple.

We need to be reminded of the verse that is printed at the front of the church, "Send out Thy light and Thy truth."

May God give us the wisdom to pursue truth at any costs!

Wayne

Custos said...

Hi Wayne,

"The one thing I can say about Dr. Rogers and his staff is that they did everything with excellence and with integrity - not for man's sake or approval but for the glory of God!"

Bingo.


Best,
Josh

Anonymous said...

A word to 'deeply concerned' and other GBC bloggers who seem to be saying that defending your church is not worth the pain and suffering. The events at GBC recently have been an encouragement to me that we also will defeat the enemy. Yes, it is ugly. Yes, it is painful. Yes, the world is watching, and so is our Lord. That is the REASON we must fight the good fight, finish the course, and keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

i would warn that you be very, very careful about labeling the "enemy"....there were and are many, many fine believers on both sides of the situation that took place at GBC. Unfortunely, people like you decided to get involved and turned it into a "fight to the death no matter what" type of situation. We already have an enemy, and he's loving every minute of this. One would have to be either uninformed or misguided to find anything to be "encouraged"
by after what GBC went through.

Anonymous said...

To GBC Member,

I know that GBC has been hurt, however it IS a positive thing when something is stopped that is not Biblical. What they wanted to achieve at GBC is not how God designed the church to be led. And, I know that anyone involved in either situation is not reveling in either one. But, there does come a time to 'STAND UP' for what you know is right and of God and to 'STAND AGAINST' what is not!

I don't believe the person who wrote the comment you are referring to meant it in any harmful way whatsoever.

This is not 'a fight unto the death' - this is holding leadership accountable for what they do and say.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying 'people like you'. Maybe, you simply mean that we are a concerned group of believers who see Satan for who he is - 'a roaring lion, seeking whom he might devour.' The reason why a lion roars is to put the spirit of fear in its prey. We, however, will not have a spirit of fear - but only of hope in the Lord, Jesus Christ!

Simply pray for us as we seek the truth and for the best for our church - God's Will.

And, we are praying for GBC! Remember, God will NOT let any harm come to HIS church and GBC will be better for it in God's precious time.

Wayne